23 August 2018

Who can apply for a Divorce?

To apply for a divorce you must:

  • be an Australian citizen, or ordinarily live in Australia for at least a 12 month period before making the application; and
  • regard Australia as your home and intend on living in Australia indefinitely.

If you meet these requirements you can still apply for a divorce even if you were married overseas.

An application for a divorce can be made by an individual or jointly by both parties. If a sole application is made, then it must be served personally on the other spouse.

Our family and divorce lawyers in Cairns can take the stress and hassle away by applying for your divorce for you.

Signup for all the latest news + offers

Share This

Select your desired option below to share a direct link to this page